“Tonight, we are young…”

“Tonight, we are young
So let’s set the world on fire
We can burn brighter than the sun”

Lots have been happening in the land of running this week. It’s first time I’ve run more than once in a week since over a month ago. My doctors and coach thinks I should be okay to run something in Miami (half or full, still up for debate). And NYRR has really been busy this week.

On Thursday, we (2012 NYC Marathon runners) found out what the resolution is to the cancelled race. There are basically three options:

  • Full refund (minus an $11 processing fee)
  • Guarantee entry to either the 2013, 2014, or 2015 NYC Marathon (plus the associated entry fees at the 2012 rates)
  • Guarantee entry to the 2013 NYC Half Marathon
We will have a couple of weeks to decide in January what we’d like to do and at that point you will be “locked” in, so to speak. Two weeks ago, I also entered the lottery for the NYC Half on March 17, 2013 and found out last night that I am in! With that entry done, I think I’ll likely lean towards getting guarantee entry to the 2013 NYC Marathon. However, I’m not really liking the idea that I have to pay twice to run one race when some people can opt to receive a full refund.
Regardless, there are still a number of open questions – how will the charities handle the 2012 runners who will run the 2013 race? Namely, I’m more concerned with how the Alzheimer’s Association will handle it. I can’t imagine not training with my team, but I also can’t imagine asking all of my friends and family to donate again, not that it’s not a good cause, but it’s a lot of money and I’m under the belief that people should donate when they want as much they want to whoever they want. I’d prefer to not be the reason why people donate but that they actually want to donate to Alzheimer’s. 
Second open question is how NYRR will be handling the cancelled races from marathon week – i.e. the “Dash to the Finish”. With five entries (myself and my family) into that race and not even the tech tee to commemorate the cancelled the event, I’d like a little more than just potential entry into a future NYRR race. In my case, three of the five entrants live outside of the NYC-area, what are the chances that they will be able to run a NYRR race?
So… as I am writing this blog, I just also received an email from NYRR about the dash. It sounds like we can transfer entry to one of five future races or receive the 9+1 credit for 2012. Okay, even worst than I thought. Again, what happens to the out of town runners? And people have to decide by Monday, January 21st? Really? So people who are out of town, will need to commit to a trip back to NYC at some point next year if they want to transfer their race entry? Guess, I’ll just have to tweet about it…
Anyway, off to have a cup of coffee and head over to the chiropractor. Ran my 6-miles with the Elysianettes and enjoying my runner’s high for the day! Happy weekend before the holidays!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *