In my second week post-marathon, I have been trying to diversify my exercise routine. I’ve been to barre and spin classes, and ran a couple of times this week. I even signed up for the I <3 Barre Challenge at Local Barre. As a part of the challenge, I will need to attend six open barre classes and six specialty classes all by December 22nd. Tonight was my first of the 12 – wish me luck!
Also, with all this new found free time, I spend a lot of it at work but when I’m not there, I’m thinking about all the cool new gadgets, races, and running related items that I am interested in. Sure, I already celebrated my birthday, but hey the holidays are on their way! (just kidding!)
My official running related wish list, in no particular order:
- New blog format – I’m not 100% sure what I’d like to do with the blog but would like to clean up the format and maybe even create a cindyruns logo.
- Exercise ball chair – I’m obsessed with trying to build a stronger core and if I need to sit at a desk for 40+ hours a week, I might as well be multitasking! I need to do more research, but the one I am initially interested in is the Gaiam Balance Ball Chair.
- Nike fuel band – Since I am trying to incorporate more cross training into my routine, I’d like to track my overall activity. Nike already has me tied to their Nike+ website with my GPS watch, so fortunately or unfortunately, the fuel band was the only way to go. We ordered the pink one tonight as a belated birthday present and I’m excited to give it a try. I am worried that it will be too big for me to wear all the time but check back for a full review once it arrives!
- iPod shuffle (or at least find mine and see if it works) – When I was struggling during the NYC Marathon, I ran into Coach Glen on the course. He gave me the push I needed at least for the next half a mile. After the race we were talking about tricking the mind when you’re struggling in a race. While I try not to run with music, especially not during races, he mentioned how a playlists can really help push you through. I usually run with my phone for emergency and tracking purposes, but I don’t think I would enjoy having it on my arm, so I think if I were to listen to music, the shuffle may be the way to go.
- Running playlist – Along the same lines, I’d have to build a running playlist. Right now, I just have some songs I like, but not all of them are upbeat enough that I’d want to listen to on a run.
- Races – I have to yet to give in and sign up for a race yet, but on my race wish list are:
- Pittsburgh Turkey Trot (either 5K or 5-miler) – just because I’ve always wanted to run in a turkey trot, the name is just so cool!
- Fred Lebow Manhattan Half Marathon – not that I don’t think I’ve run enough loops of Central Park, I think this race will be a good excuse for me to continue running in the cold and to justify all the food I eat!
- World Marathon Majors – of course, I don’t plan on running all of these in the next year, but they are on wish list for one day…
- New York City – done!
- Chicago – this might be the next one, a couple of teammates and I shook on this the day after NYC even while we were all in extreme pain!
- Boston – if I can ever qualify by time, maybe when I’m 60+ years old and still running as fast/slow as I am now!
|The “official” handshake|
|The face says it all… pain and injury, and what would possess me to do it again, and again, and again?|